Clinical Trials BC advances British Columbia’s development as a world-class destination for clinical trials (a type of health research that studies a test or treatment given to people) across our province’s hospitals, research institutions and communities. Our mission is to maximize the health, educational, and economic benefits of clinical trials to the citizens of BC. Here’s a summary of what we do:
- Business development – We attract new investment from networks, associations and industry partners by promoting BC’s clinical trials capacity, technology platforms, and expertise;
- Capacity development and training – We increase province-wide capacity for conducting high quality clinical trials that meet strict ethical and regulatory standards;
- Enabling environment – We support clinical trials excellence, efficiency, effectiveness, innovation, and value for all stakeholders by advancing practices and processes;
- Patient/participant experience – We optimize British Columbians’ participation in clinical trials by helping to remove barriers and enhance the participant experience.
Clinical Trials BC, along with the BC SUPPORT (SUpport for People and Patient-Oriented Research and Trials) Unit and Research Ethics BC, is a unit of the British Columbia Academic Health Science Network (BC AHSN).
Meet our team
To read more about our team, click here.
Want to get in touch with our team? Please see our Contact Us page.
Looking for our online job board? Please visit the page here.
Board Governance and Advisory Council
Clinical Trials BC is governed by the BC AHSN Board of Directors.
An advisory council, consisting of key BC clinical research leaders, provides content knowledge and guidance.
Clinical Trials BC works with a variety of stakeholder groups who are vital to the health and growth of BC’s clinical research environment. This includes:
- Health authorities
- Research institutions
- Patient partners/research participants
- Site operations leaders/research administrators
- Clinical trials investigators and staff
- National and international clinical research community
We connect with organizations and groups in a number of different ways, including:
- Engaging with stakeholders to seek advice and input on Clinical Trials BC strategies;
- Collaborating on multi-stakeholder initiatives led by, or co-led with, other organizations;
- Signing partnership agreements that leverage and connect provincial resources and expertise to help achieve Clinical Trials BC objectives.
Clinical Trials BC builds upon and expands the functions of the former BC Clinical Research Infrastructure Network (BCCRIN). Formed in 2010, BCCRIN was a pan-provincial network of 23 organizations – research institutions, health authorities, universities, granting organizations, and the life sciences industry – who shared a vision for BC to be among world leaders in clinical trials research. In June 2017, it was announced that BCCRIN’s functions would be transitioned into the BC Academic Health Science Network organization under the new name of Clinical Trials BC. This embeds a clinical trials focus within the broader provincial effort to advance health innovation in British Columbia.