Clinical Trials BC advances British Columbia’s development as a world-class destination for clinical trials across our province’s hospitals, research institutions and communities. Our mission is to maximize the health, educational, and economic benefits of clinical trials to the citizens of BC.
Want to get in touch with our team? Please see our Contact Us page.
What We Do
Working with diverse partners across BC’s clinical research community, Clinical Trials BC is focused on four strategic priorities:
- Business development – We attract new investment from networks, associations and industry partners by promoting BC’s clinical trials capacity, technology platforms, and expertise;
- Capacity development and training – We increase province-wide capacity for conducting high quality clinical trials that meet strict ethical and regulatory standards;
- Enabling environment – We support clinical trials excellence, efficiency, effectiveness, innovation, and value for all stakeholders by advancing practices and processes;
- Patient/participant experience – We optimize British Columbians’ participation in clinical trials by helping to remove barriers and enhance the participant experience.
Our work strengthens British Columbia’s clinical research community and brings tangible value to our stakeholders. Key activities include:
- Business Development:
- Global marketing of BC’s clinical trials excellence
- Facilitating connections and partnerships
- Professional Development:
- Provincial access to online clinical research tools and content
- Provincial access to e-learning programs
- Professional certification support
- Regulation & Quality Assurance:
- Regulatory consulting
- Provincial Quality Management System (QMS) Program
- Audit and inspection preparation
- Site education and training
- Participant Experience:
- Generating data/knowledge on the patient/participant experience
- Engaging with partners to advance clinical trials practice improvements
Clinical Trials BC is governed by the BC AHSN Board of Directors. An advisory council, consisting of key BC clinical research leaders, will be established late 2018 to provide content knowledge and guidance.
Clinical Trials BC works with a variety of stakeholder groups who are vital to the health and growth of BC’s clinical research environment. This includes:
- Health authorities
- Research institutions
- Patient partners/research participants
- Site operations leaders/research administrators
- Clinical trials investigators and staff
- National and international clinical research community
We connect with organizations and groups in a number of different ways, including:
- Engaging with stakeholders to seek advice and input on Clinical Trials BC strategies;
- Collaborating on multi-stakeholder initiatives led by, or co-led with, other organizations;
- Signing partnership agreements that leverage and connect provincial resources and expertise to help achieve Clinical Trials BC objectives.
Clinical Trials BC builds upon and expands the functions of the former BC Clinical Research Infrastructure Network (BCCRIN). Formed in 2010, BCCRIN was a pan-provincial network of 23 organizations – research institutions, health authorities, universities, granting organizations, and the life sciences industry – who shared a vision for BC to be among world leaders in clinical trials research. In June 2017, it was announced that BCCRIN’s functions would be transitioned into the BC Academic Health Science Network organization under the new name of Clinical Trials BC. This embeds a clinical trials focus within the broader provincial effort to advance health innovation in British Columbia.